Information for Vendors

ARTS & CRAFTS EVENTS IN HAWAII: We do not organize nor are responsible for any of the events that we list. They are submitted to us by many different organizers of events, and you will have to deal with them.

HOW TO BECOME A VENDOR: You'd have to know and abide by the rules, regulations, conditions and limitations of each event. You must contact the event's organizer for this information and to apply as a vendor. We furnish this information to our subscribers in our password protected pages. If you're not a subscriber, click here to subscribe.

FEES: Costs involved with selling at events include: a booth fee (can range from $20 to $350+ depending on the event), and a refundable deposit (to encourage you to follow the rules of the event and to keep your area clean). Some events ask for a donation of an item for their raffle or drawings, and a very few require liability insurance or will provide it for you at an additional cost (can range from $50 to $100+). If you require electricity, this may be an additional charge, and sometimes rental of tables, chairs and tents are offered. "Booths" are usually just a space, and you would have to provide your own tent (if outdoors) and display furniture. Some events held indoors will include a table in the booth fee.

SCREENING: A few events will require the screening of your products to avoid an abundance of similar crafts/products or to maintain a quality standard for the event. If screening is required, it's usually for first-time vendors or if new products are to be sold by a returning vendor. Screening processes vary and can be by phone, or by bringing samples to an appointment (i.e. Mission Houses Fairs), to registration (i.e. Hickam AFB Fairs), or to a specified meeting date for all vendors (i.e. Diamond Head Arts & Crafts Fair).

GENERAL EXCISE TAX LICENSE: Everyone, residents and visitors, doing business in Hawaii must obtain a G.E.T. license from the State Department of Taxation. There's a one-time filing fee of $20 to apply, and the license is effective for as long as you conduct business in Hawaii or as short as a one-time event. Get more info at: You'll need form BB-1 to apply for a G.E.T., form G-45 to file your periodic taxes, and form G-49 to file an annual reconciliation.  Tax forms are at The G.E.T. on all goods sold in Hawaii is 4% for retail sales and ½% for wholesale. There's also a ½% surcharge for goods sold on Oahu.

CASH ECONOMY ENFORCEMENT ACT OF 2009: In June 2009 this Act 134 was passed, which authorized a Special Enforcement Section of the Dept. of Taxation to inspect books, records, and premises without notice, and to issue citations for violations.  In 2010, several fairs were visited, and citations were issued to vendors in amounts up to $2,000.  Details of the Act is at, and clarification on what you are required to do at fairs to comply can be found here.

OUT OF STATE VENDORS: Most events are open to both residents and visitors. Some events, however, due to their theme or organizer restrict participants. For example, The Made-In-Hawaii Festival obviously will accept only products made in Hawaii. Some neighbor island fairs accept only residents of that island.

EVENTS on PUBLIC PARKS: The City and County of Honolulu does not allow the reselling of goods (retailers) at craft fairs held on Oahu's public parks. Products sold there must be handcrafted to a certain degree by the vendor. The degree is often determined by the organization running the fair. Food vendors with food offered for consumption at the event are allowed, however, packaged food is not. These restrictions apply to "craft fairs", but are not mandatory for "festivals", which are events whose predominant purpose is other than the selling of goods.
Weather Protection: "Booths" at events on public parks are outdoor space assignments where sellers must usually provide their own canopy and display furniture. Some, like the "Sunset" events, do provide the tenting, and others may require that your tent's canopy be white. For tent rentals, see our Directory under "Services".

EVENTS at PUBLIC SCHOOLS: Events at schools are usually open to all: handcrafters, resellers, and packaged food vendors, however, the organization running the event may have restrictions, like limiting food items if they plan to sell their own for fund-raising. If the event is called "Craft & Gift Fairs", it is a cue that reselling is allowed.
State Tax Clearance Requirement: A State Tax Clearance is often required of vendors for events held on school grounds. Tax clearance application form A-6 can be found at A tax clearance is good for 6 months. Tax clearances are not required for events at private schools.

EVENTS at PRIVATE FACILITIES: The organizer of the event calls the shots here. Depending on the nature of the event, they may accept only handmade-by-you goods or may accept retail gift items (resellers) as well. Most welcome packaged food items, but may restrict on-site-consumables if they conflict with the facility's food concession.

FOOD VENDORS: Food vendors are often required to have their food prepared in a Department of Health (DOH) certified kitchen, meet other applicable DOH requirements, be insured for $1,000,000 and furnish a certificate of insurance. Events held on public parks are strict in enforcing these requirements, and other events and organizers vary in severity. You'll have to check with each organizer and comply with their requirements.